Saturday, June 17, 2006

Vive Day

Friday was Vive Day! I cooked and baked from Dreena's book, Vive Le Vegan. In the morning, I made Apple Hemp Muffins (see post below)
In the afternoon, I got to work on getting things started for dinner. I really liked the sound of Celebrity Adzuki Bean and Rice Cakes. I didn't have time to get to the Bulk Barn and get some adzuki beans, so I used black beans (the recipe said it was OK). I did this in the afternoon and put the mix into the fridge to chill and help firm it up. At dinner time, I made patties and fried them while I talked to my mom on the phone. She'd just recently returned from a 3 1/2 week trip to visit my brother, his wife and their new baby in Japan. She also made a pit stop and visited with my sister and her husband in Vancouver so we had lots to talk about. It made the frying process breeze along. The recipe made quite a few cakes, so I put them in a warm oven as I kept frying.




I also made Dreena's Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce to serve with the patties. Was this sauce delicious! Look at the awesome colour. We also had baked potatoes and a garden salad.



There were enough of the cakes left over that I've put them in the freezer. They will be great through the week when I'm coming home tired from work and don't feel like cooking. Another excellent recipe Dreena.

7 comments:

funwithyourfood said...

I LOVE baked potatoes a little too much. But you know I like even more. Baked YAMS. I have some at home just dying to be eaten. yum yum

teddy

KleoPatra said...

Your bro's in Japan, wow! That's far away. I have a sister in London, so I know what it's like...

It seems as tho one can't go wrong with Dreena's recipes. Nice goin' on these...

urban vegan said...

looks yummylicious

Tanya Kristine said...

what is wrong with Blogger? they used to be so GREAT!!! GET YOUR SHIT TOGHTER BLOGGER!

oh.

those look really good. i must order her cookbooks now. crap. i stilll have like 5 i don't use anymore becuase i keep buyin gmore! it's addicting!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

The Bean and Rice Cakes really look amazing. I've gotta make this & I hope mine look this great & w/a pretty yellow stripe of sauce too! Did they hold up as left-overs?

Carrie™ said...

I'm not sure yet. I put the leftovers in the freezer, so we'll see. I wasn't sure about the sauce, so I e-mailed Dreena to see if I could freeze it too. She said she never has any left - her husband loves the stuff, but she thought it would be OK. I'll let you know.

Isil Simsek said...

This plate looks so appealing!
I am glad I ordered Dreena's books and they are on the way now ;)