Sunday, March 05, 2006

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (another bulgur recipe)

This recipe I haven't tried, but really want to. It's from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. Sarah is amazing! This is her third book. Her first two were co-authored with Tanya Barnard. The first one was How It All Vegan and the second was Garden of Vegan. I use all of these books quite a bit. One thing I particularly like about La Dolce Vegan is that most of the dishes are geared to feed 2-3 people. There are only two of us in my household and after a couple of meals of the same thing, the leftovers aren't so appealing anymore. Anyhow, this recipe sounded very interesting. I've made cabbage rolls with rice numerous times and have also tried them with barley, which turned out very nice. I never would have thought using bulgur. If you try this before I do, let me know how it goes. You could easily double this recipe if you wanted to feed more people.
By the way, Sarah's website Go Vegan is great. There is a chatroom/forum which is very active. Check it out!


STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

1 small head of green cabbage

Filling
1/4 cup bulgur
1/4 cup boiling water
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 large button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. tamari
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. black ground pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne
3 tbsp. walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 cup cooked cabbage, finely chopped

Sauce
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 14-oz (398-ml) can diced tomatoes
1 5.5-oz (156-ml) can tomato paste
1 tsp. sweetener (e.g. maple syrup, sugar)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350F. Remove core from cabbage and steam whole head for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Remove 6 large leaves and set aside.
While cabbage is steaming, in a small bowl, pour boiling water over bulgur. Cover with lid and set aside.
In a medium saucepan on medium heat, saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms in oil until onions are translucent. Add the tamari, paprika, pepper, cayenne, walnuts and bulgur and saute for 6-8 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the chopped, cooked cabbage and set aside.
To prepare the sauce: In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, saute the garlic in oil until translucent. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sweetener, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Assemble cabbage rolls by dividing filling among the 6 leaves. Roll each leaf and arrange in a lightly oiled 8x8-inch baking dish. Spoon tomato sauce evenly over top and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 2 large of 4 small servings. Sauce make approx. 2 cups.

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Thanks for this!

I was tempted to buy this book over the weekend but didn't. I bought 3 other cheap ones instead.

I just posted my weekend flog and 3 to free with a pic of my treat over the weekend.

Texas breast reduction said...

Merhaba! Love your cuisine & I love this dish,thanx for reminding me as for sharing this recipie!Though Im vegan I will do it without the meat..I even remember vaguely a version made with rice and chickpeas..!Sagol,Mia