Thursday, February 23, 2006

Jambalaya

For dinner tonight, I'm making Jambalya that is adapted from a Linda McCartney recipe. I really, really like this dish. I've also got some fresh multi-grain bread and some baby greens for a nice salad. I wish I had a digital camera to take photos. Maybe I'll be able to get one soon. In the meantime, use your imagination. Or better yet, make it!

CREOLE VEGETABLE JAMBALAYA

3 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 Yves veggie burgers (or burgers of your choice)
1/2 pkg. Yves breakfast links
2 Yves Spicy Italian sausages

1 small onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium leek, sliced thinly
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/4 pound okra, trimmed or zuchinni, diced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. freshly chopped basil or 1 tsp. dried
1-2 tsp. Cajun spice mix
3/4 cup long grain rice
14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3 cups small brown mushrooms, halved
salt and black pepper to taste
Tabasco or other hot sauce to taste
chopped scallions or parsley to garnish

**I only had half of a small red pepper, so I chopped that and also added some bottled roasted red peppers that I had. It made a nice taste. Also, I do not like mushrooms at all. J does, so I'll sometimes add them. If I don't, then I'll use okra and zucchini.

Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet and brown burgers and sausages. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil and soften the onion and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add leek, red pepper and celery. Saute until the vegetables have softened slightly. Add the herbs and Cajun spice mix and stir well. Then stir in the rice until it is thoroughly incorporated.
Add the tomatoes and half the stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, okra and/or zucchini and remaining stock. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the rice is tender.
While this is cooking, chop or crumble the burger into bite-sized pieces and slice the sausages into rounds. Add to pot and stir to mix in. Cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Makes about 4-6 servings

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Might have to try this someday

:)

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I hope you get a digital camera or access - I would love to see some of your dishes! This jambalaya sounds wonderful, I've wanted to try Linda McCartney recipes.