Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dreena Strikes Again!

I saw some kale in the grocery store that looked so fresh and bright, I just had to buy it. The price was pretty good too, for this time of year, at $1.79. I don't know what kale costs elsewhere, but around here it's usually around $1.49-$1.99.


Now, Jim isn't a lover of greens. He will eat spinach if it's in a curry or a soup where the flavour is masked by lots of spice. I give him credit though, he will always try it, but he's just not too fond of kale. I remembered a recipe that I had seen in VWAV for Garlicy Kale with Tahini Dressing. Now, garlic, we love, so I thought I would try that and see if I could win Jim over to the "greens" side.

Isa warned in the sauce recipe that it made a lot, so I halved it & still had a lot. It was delicious and complimented the kale wonderfully. Alas, Jim still isn't a fan. He did enjoy the rest of what was on his plate though.

Some brown & wild rice, baby carrots and TA-DA!! another dish from ED&BV. When I first got my book and excitedly browsed through it, I knew I had to make this - Cumin Lime Tofu. I used frozen tofu because I have quite a few bricks frozen and I want to rotate them out. It worked great!

HOLY CRAP!! This is soooo FREAKIN' good I wish I'd doubled the recipe. Like the chimis I made, this took no time to throw together. There was not a lot of fussing with preparation or cooking, yet it tasted like I was slaving in the kitchen. Now, I'm a lover of lime, so pretty much anything lime flavoured has me liking it even before I eat it, but Jim gave this a "two thumbs up" as well. The dish is finished with crushed pumpkin seeds on top which give it a little crunch and pulls it all together with a little something extra.

We were pretty full, so we just finished the meal with a nice dish of rainbow sorbet.


I almost always buy this one. Some sorbets contain milk, which I don't care for. I prefer ones that are just water ice & fruit.

So, my second offering from ED&BV is also a hit and if you haven't tried it yet, it's a must.
Dreena strikes again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

*shivers* Isn't it too cold for sorbets? Don't get me wrong... I love the stuff... when it's hot outside. :-)

Shawn Powers said...

Kale is neat stuff. I enjoy eating it, and supposedly it grows easily in cold weather -- but I couldn't ever get it to sprout.

...maybe this year. :)

MeloMeals said...

I want that meal NOW. For lunch.

Jody from VegChic said...

Kale took quite some time to grow on me, now I love it though. Have you ever tried baking the kale chips in the oven? I wonder if Jim would go for those.

Cumin lime anything sounds great. That is one of my favorite salad dressings.

The rainbow sherbet makes me think of my grandmother. When I was little she'd always buy that for me.

Say hi to Simon for me! Oh and I promise to play a move in scrabble today!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I have been meaning to try the cumin lime tofu! Glad your hubby enjoyed it.
Usually I try and hide kale and other leafy greens in sauces or with anything else that has a strong flavor. I also like to top it with a similar sauce, made with cashew butter, nutritional yeast, soy milk, onion and garlic powder.

Ww said...

Honestly, it's interesting hearing people getting excited about greens... Jim must be a wonderfully patient and loving guy. Sue, my bh, has me on fish most of the week.. but I can't imagine replacing real food with greens. Just kidding... have fun!

Bill

bazu said...

that sorbet is so beautiful!

and I love kale... I'm trying to eat as many greens as possible, since they're in season right now, and as you said, cheap!

Tanya Kristine said...

i hate kale. i hate chard...i hate mustard greens. i like beer.