Friday, December 14, 2007

3 B's and an A

In this case, the 3 B's are in this soup. Beets, Beans & Barley. I got a wicked deal on a 10 pound bag of beets and decided to finally try this recipe that I've been eyeing for quite a while now. Here we have Beet, Barley and Black Soybean Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons from Vegan With a Vengeance. That is probably the longest soup name ever.




This soup turned out to be wicked delicious & such a pretty colour! I couldn't find black soybeans, so I opted for a mix of beans that I cooked up the night before. I think I threw in white kidney beans, romano beans, some chickpeas. The croutons for this are a must! Holy doodle were they good!

The dill flavour was especially nice. The addition of fresh dill gave a little lift to the colours in the bowl with nice bright flecks of green throughout. This took virtually no time to throw together and is definitely a keeper!


And for the A - Apple Pie!
.



I always have apples in the house and I eat one almost every day. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" must hold some truth. In the past year, I have not had one sick day. I am the only employee with perfect attendance. I'm surprised - aren't I supposed to be weak and sickly because by not eating meat I don't get enough protein. (I love to disappoint!)
Anyhow, when local apples were in season, I went a little crazy and bought a lot. Some of the few that were left were starting to get soft, so I dedided to make a pie for dessert.


It turned out amazing! I like a bit of extra cinnamon and the crust was light and flaky. So delicious. Everything was so good in fact, we had the same meal the very next day.

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey Carrie! The apple pie looks soooo perfect! And I must say that although I've never put beets in a soup, I'm now considering it since those pics are so pretty.
And BTW, I always had a thing for Bryan meself, especially now that I know he's a vegetarian!

Tanya Kristine said...

right tracy..i'd never think of that combo. but if you say it's delish...i'll believe you.

i don't like pie..c.an you believe that??? i don't like apples either...i like cookies though.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness, that Beet, Barley & Black Soybean Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons (haha, THAT'S a mouthful of a title) and the Apple Pie look positively SPECTACULAR!! yum!!

Judy said...

Every once in a while, I come across a recipe that entices me despite its inclusion of an ingredient I hate - such as this lovely sounding soup. If it weren't for the beets, I would be trying it, but I have learned that just because beets look pretty, I do not enjoy them in my food.

Candi said...

Hi Carrie!

I'm so curious about this beet soup! I really don't like beets, but i try to like them. I like the *idea* of them. Somehow, your soup looks SO good! I wonder if it's time to give beets another chance?

Oh, the pie looks like a contest winning one! Nice job!!!

bazu said...

that soup is gorgeous, and somehow sounds so perfect! your pie looks wonderful... I've never had much luck with pie, but I hope practice makes perfect!

Island Folk said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I've added it to my favourite and will come back again and again....I love those photos of food that you've posted. Oh... they look yummy!

aTxVegn said...

The soup looks really great, altho I am just not a fan of beets. I do love how V-con uses dill in lots of recipes. That's one herb I love and don't seem to use enough.

The pie looks so wonderful. And you get an "A" for being the healthiest person in the office!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh that soup looks wonferful and warming. Dill sounds like the perfect addition and I love your mix of beans (and I've never seen black soybeans either).
And the apple pie, mmmmm...

urban vegan said...

A 10-lb bag pof beets? Unheard of! So jealous, so jealous.

Tanya Kristine said...

my body's not much better off. but i'll try the run anyway. if i have to walk it, i'll walk it. you should join me. at least at the finish line with a keg.