Friday, June 16, 2006

MMMMuffins!

No work today! Yea! But I have to work the weekend. Booooo! I slept in a bit and when I got up, I knew exactly what I wanted for breakfast - Apple Hemp Muffins from Dreena Burton's latest cookbook Vive Le Vegan. When I checked out Vicki's blog last week, she had made them and her picture was to die for, so I went on a search for hemp seed nuts. I didn't know if I'd ever be able to find them, but lo and behold! I was at Fortino's and there they were! Right in the cooler at the natural food/hippie section, front row, center! The ones they had were by a Canadian company called Manitoba Harvest. Even better!!



It took no time to whip these muffins up. I got to use some more of the nutmeg I won from Sarah Kramer. The batter was so light and fluffy when I was spooning it into the muffin cups, I couldn't wait for for them to bake. After about 10 minutes the spicy smell was all through my kitchen.

A while ago, Jim got a bag of coffee from a customer as a tip. (Yes, strange I know. He gets some odd things sometimes. Actually, the nutmeg I spoke of above was a tip to Sarah's husband, Gerry.) Anyhow, the coffee was organic, shade grown beans from Starbucks. I'm not usually a big fan of Starbucks coffee, but grinding fresh beans was so appealing this morning.



It actually didn't taste too bad. But when I had it with the muffins, it was much better.

These turned out fantastic! They were moist and quite light for a muffin, and not all sicky sweet like a muffin you'd buy at a coffee shop. I put half of the batch in the freezer to supply me with grab and go breakfasts next week. Thanks Dreena for a fabulous recipe!

5 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I forgot to add in my post that these would probably be super good with raisins!!

Vicki said...

Whata fun post for me to read, Carrie, it makes me so happy! :) And yeaah for you finding hemp nuts ~ keep 'em flowing. I don't want to sound overly odd, but those are some georgous muffins! Great photo, & I agree that raisins would be mighty nice. So what hemp recipe is next?!

funwithyourfood said...

wow i didn't know starbucks did shade grown coffee. that is so great
thanks for sharing


Teddy

KleoPatra said...

Nothing like HOMEMADE muffins. I rarely eat pre-packaged, pre-made muffins; these looks fab, Carrie!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Crystal & Ryan - Café Cyan said...

I love the hemp seeds! I use them in smoothies, granola; I'd put them in more things, but they are kinda spendy.

-Crystal