Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cookbooks, Crackers & So Much More

One day last week, I was having an all out craving for pancakes. I took out my trusty copy of The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, and used their simple, never fail pancake recipe.


I threw in a few handfuls of frozen wild blueberries and had the most delicious blueberry pancakes for my breakfast.


Of course I drizzled them with maple syrup! It was one of my top 5 food picks! On the side were some crispy strips of Morningstar Farms Breakfast Bacon. YumYumYum!

Then, the mailman arrived. (He really was a man, so saying mailman isn't being non-politically correct) He had 2, count 'em - 2 packages for ME! The first one was from amazon.ca When I placed my order, the e-mail said that my books would be shipped in approximately 2-5 weeks. One week later, they were here. Great service! I finally ordered Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. It seemed so tiny, but it is full of wonderful cupcake recipes.


I was having such a good time with my slow cooker cookbook by Robin Robertson that I decided to try another one of her books. Since I've been trying to experiment with different seitan recipes, and I'm a real lover of comfort food, I decided to get The Vegetarinan Meat and Potatoes Cookbook. I haven't had a chance to really read the recipes, but I did a quick page flip and I like what I'm seeing! The third book is The Self Healing Cookbook by Kristina Turner. This book was recommended to me by my naturopath and after I browsed her copy, I thought it would be a good reference/cookbook to have on hand.

My second package contained free samples from Dr. Kracker. I first heard about this offer from Bazu when she posted about it in January. I checked out the website and figured it would be the same old story - offer only valid in the United States. I didn't see anything, so I e-mailed the company. I got a very prompt answer back saying they would be delighted to send me some free samples. I sent off my mailing info and completely forgot about Dr. Kracker until the package arrived. It was all the way from Dallas Texas. I guess that's why it took a while. That and clearing customs.

In the box were 3 packages of crackers/flatbread and a cute cracker tin. They sent some neat varieties - Klassic 3 Seed, Seeded Spelt, and one called Seedlander. All of these look so incredibly good and are made with delicious-sounding, wholesome ingredients. I haven't tried one yet, but I KNOW they're going to be kick-ass.

In my mailbox, I found another puffy envelope from my Dad. Back in October, he sent me
an awesome puffy envelope so I was very excited to see this one. What could it be?


A DVD copy of Blue Man Group! It's quite similar to the show Jim & I saw in January. This copy is great! There are some things on this DVD I've never seen before. Thanks again Dad! XO You ROCK!

Whew! What a load of stuff - all in one day. But wait! There's more! Jim arrived home with his E-Bay win.


Lookey what was inside.

Two tickets to the LEAFS game on March 20. This is going to be a good game. They're playing New Jersey Devils who have one of the best goalies on the planet, Martin Brodeur. I'm very excited to see him play. This game will also be interesting because the last time these teams played (March 2) there was a very controversial play and non-call for this incident. Whatever happens, Leafs winning hopefully, we are going to be on top of the action.



Look at our seats.
.
Row 4!
.
.
.
.
.
Go Leafs!

7 comments:

River said...

Love those blueberry pancakes, Carrie! And what a great day you had - Woweeeeee!!! Hugs and love,
'River'

bazu said...

Wowza, what a package bonanza!! Ok, that rhymes too much. I'm so glad you got the Dr. Krackers- they really are good, we especially liked them with nut butter and jam. Plus the cookbooks! and the cd from your dad! and the hockey tickets- I'm jealous. =)

theONLYtania said...

Never fail pancakes indeed.. they look perfect! And what awesome packages! I love getting packages at school hehe. I've never seen the blue man group.. I'm not even sure what it's like... have fun at the hockey game!

MeloMeals said...

You certainly had a good day! I LOVE getting new cookbooks..

Judy said...

I am craving pancakes like mad right now. Thanks :)

Ooh, I love getting packages in the mail, especially ones containing books.

Looks like you got some really great seats for the game. Isn't Ebay great?

KleoPatra said...

Carrie, i love your pancakes! More blueberries, please!! Yes, that's good... OK, maybe a few more! HA! Those are chock-full of berries. Berry nice, Carrie! :o)

Oh, that "baconm" too!

I'm a long-time fan of Morningstar Farms tho i am not happy they use eggs in their products... i don't eat much of their stuff anymore but i remember a time not long ago (OK, maybe it was long, long ago) when they were pretty much the only ones around who made "meaty" veg stuff...

LEAFS? ROW FOUR!? OY!

And you got some wonderful things in the mail there as well. Very awesome!! I love yer dad. What a sweet thing to do. He knows his daughter so very well, 'eh?

I'm ready for you to take over the world with those cupcakes. Aren't you due for a visit to SoCal soon?! Maybe you can teach me to bake some of your faves when yer here...!!! See, i have it all planned out, Carrie!!

Unknown said...

Your pancakes look delish! Mazoh crackers are also usually vegan, and aren't too difficult to find if you want to add more crackerage to your diet. They make a nice alternative to pita for dips.