Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hopefully, A Return

Hey bitches!! I had some family members over the weekend mention this blog and how I haven't posted for so long. It got me to thinking that I should pick it up again. I know, I know....how many times have we visited blogs that have been dormant for a while, then read a post saying "I'm back!" and then nothing. I've got my fingers crossed that I don't fall into that category. (BTW, it's very hard to type with crossed fingers).

Here's something I made the other night that I've been making for years - Spicy Sausage and Potatoes. I can't even remember where I picked up the recipe (which I will include at the end of the post), but it was a loooong time ago. Back then, I was a meat eater and used Italian sausages. Now I use either Tofurky Sweet Italian Sausages or Yves Spicy Italian Sausages and I find they work just perfectly.


Add peppers and onions and this dish has it goin' on! It's done all in one pan, so less dishes to wash.

Another thing I've been making for a long time and is a total comfort dessert for me is gingerbread. It might seem kind of old fashioned, but it's shouldn't! Tasty doesn't go out of style.

I use my mother's recipe and this cake always comes out moist with wonderful warming spices. I substituted blended soft tofu for the eggs and I find it makes my baked goods even more moist. Try it! This can be topped with whipped cream or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

A nice little cocktail to finish off is something called Chocolate Covered Cherry. I discovered it in an old LCBO drink mix booklet and it is divine! It's got a pretty pink hue and it does taste like a chocolate covered cherry. 

This is so yummy, it can even be dessert on it's own. It's very simple to make: In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 1 oz. clear (also known as white) crème de cacao, 1½ oz. cherry brandy, 2 oz. milk. Shake fairly vigorously and strain into a chilled martini glass. You can garnish it with cherry if you like.


SPICY SAUSAGE & POTATOES 
1-2 tbsp. olive or safflower oil
1 pkg. veggie Italian sausages of your choice, cut into 1” pieces
10 small new potatoes, quartered*
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme leaves 
1 cup sliced red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 red or green pepper, cut into 1” pieces 
Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a large skillet and add sausage. Sauté until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add the potatoes, pepper and thyme to the pan (and add more oil if needed) and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are browned (10-12 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until potatoes are tender (8-10 minutes).  Stir in the remaining ingredients, including the reserved sausage, and continue cooking, uncovered until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
*I will quite often use left over potatoes in this dish that I cut into decent sized chunks. You can then skip the step where you have to cover the potatoes and cook until tender.    


1 comment:

dreaminitvegan said...

Good to see you back on here. What a quick and easy meal to make. My husband would love this.
Your gingerbread looks really moist, I love it but just never seem to make it.