Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cassoulet

I'm very excited about my new purchase. I have never had a proper Dutch oven, but now I do! I have yearned for one by Le Creuset, but as you may know, they are very expensive. I stopped into Canadian Tire to look at attachments for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer when low and behold, I saw this -


It was displayed on and end aisle at HALF PRICE! It was listed at $99.99 but on sale for $49.99. Needless to say, any thoughts of pasta attachments flew right out of my head. I wanted the Dutch oven.

Lovely! It's such a pretty deep red colour. I haven't used it yet, but I already know what I'm going to make first.

Leek & Bean Cassoulet from Veganomicon.

These are pictures of one I made in the winter months. I had to cook it in a large skillet on the stove then transfer to an oven safe dish to finish it in the oven. Not really much of a nuisance, but still.....Now I won't have to!

If you have not made this dish yet, I don't know what you're waiting for. This is totally worth the cost of the book. I wanted to just keep eating, it was so delicious. I don't know which I liked better, the stew part or the biscuits. Both were incredibly good. Come on colder weather. I want more cassoulet!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

That looks so delicious...as a matter of fact I bought the same dutch oven from Canadian Tire...it was on sale too!! What a coincidence lol. I like your new blog page by the way.

radioactivegan said...

Hmmm ... I wonder if I'd have to live in Canada to get such a great deal. I love the color of your dutch oven; that alone would make me love to use it!g

Catherine Weber said...

Score! I love finding awesome kitchen deals.

I've been craving cold-weather foods, too. I miss soup!

Veggie said...

That's an awesome deal! I've been wanting one of those for a long time too. I just love that Cassoulet recipe.