Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Post of Deliciousness (or Failure To Come Up With An Adequate Title)


In keeping with the Led Zeppelin theme for a moment, did you see Jimmy Page at the Olympic Closing Ceremonies? How funny that he played "Whole Lotta Love". That's the song in the video I posted below. Of all the songs he could have played.... Thanks Jimmy! (who knows, maybe he'll read this blog too. HA! In my dreams.)
.
.
David Beckham was also at the closing ceremonies, and because I have mostly female readers, why not a gratuitous photo of Becks in his underwear?

YUMMY!
.
.
Not long ago I got some wonderful Ontario grown raspberries.

These were so sweet and delicious, I didn't do a thing to them - just ate them as is. It saddens me that their season is so short. When I have a garden again, I'd like to plant some. Has anyone tried their hand at growing raspberries?

A lot of the locally grown produce is hitting the stores & farmer's markets now. I got some beets and roasted them in orange juice with garlic & thyme. I've showcased this dish before, so if you'd like the recipe, go here. I also roasted some potatoes with onions, green beans & a little bit of thyme, and sauteed some kale with garlic & onions. All of that fresh produce and it's onion-y garlic-y goodness made for a fresh vibrant meal.

A while ago, I also tried some Sheese. I went to Goodness Me and although they had all kinds of alternative cheese products, I didn't see Sheese, so I asked. They carry it at their Hamilton store, which is much larger, and were more than willing to have it sent over for me.

It had a sort of crumbly cheddar look, and I was really keen to try it. It wasn't bad, but because I still do eat cheese, it wasn't what I was used to and I think that made me not really enjoy it as much. If I had been away from real cheese for some time and then tried this, I think I would have been much more impressed. I will say that it's waaaay better than most of of the other alternative products I've tried. I think it's an excellent option to have and I would definitely buy it again. I'd really like to try some of the other flavours, especially Gouda and the cream styles. I've been hearing & reading a lot now about Teese so I've got my eyes & ears open for it to come to Canada so I can try that one too.

Now feast your eyes on THIS! It's from Susan at Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. It's her creation - Seitan Baked in Sweet & Sour Orange Sauce.
This was soooo freakin' delicious!! And like Susan says at the beginning of the recipe, it's not as complicated as it first appears to be. I worked the way she suggested and it all came together fairly easily.
I even did the vegetables with some of the orange sauce like she suggested. More of my fresh Ontario bounty is displayed in the photo. If you haven't made this yet, I highly suggest it. Trust me. You will drool over it and your taste buds will be getting a "Whole Lotta Love". (insert groan here)

8 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

DAVID BECKHAM!!!! **swoons**

Laura said...

after the picture of beckham, i couldn't see the food anymore. ho.ly.shit. if only he was vegan...

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hmmm, I don't know what looks more delicious.... all that food or David Beckham?

madeinalaska said...

David Beckam does = delicious!!!
oh my..
and your yummy food too.
I have some rasberries growing in my yard - they were left here by the people we bought the house from though.. but, after nine years they keep coming back. No big haul but, eanough for a yummy snack and smoothie now and again.
take care Carrie.
Julee

Urban Vegan said...

I'm not sure what looks better--Becks or that seitan.

Michelle Ann said...

I LOVE the Becks picture...but your raspberry picture rocks!!!

aTxVegn said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't concentrate after David Beckham.

Pressure Canner said...

Pressure Canner is a great way to lower your food bill and feed your family, because of that pressure canner is use in the home were extensively. Pressure canner is needed if you want to can low-acid foods such as red meats, sea food, poultry, milk, and all fresh vegetables with the exception of most tomatoes and you definitely need a pressure canner for anything containing any meat. Home canning of meats is even recommended, even with a pressure canner. So, i have some info and products about pressure canner, pressure canning, pressure canner cooker and more that i could be able to share with you if you have it :D

Cheers,
Pressure Canner