Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Veat & Strawberry Shortcake

I decided to update my look. I was getting bored and just needed something different.


An item I discovered in the US a few years ago is Veat. The nuggets are quite versitile and taste really good. The website also shows a fillet that I think is supposed to be a faux salmon, but I've haven't seen that yet. Anyone try it? (Unfortunately, these are not vegan. Contains dairy. Why couldn't they just leave that out.)



I used this package to make this - Tangy Oven Barbecue Chick'n.

I found the recipe at the Campbell's Soup site. The recipe called for chicken breasts, but I used nugget chunks. It worked out very well. There's nothing to this. Just mix up the sauce, pour over the "chick'n" and put it in the oven. That's it. This would probably work with tofu as well. If you'd like the recipe, it's here.


Since the oven was on, I made some herbed, roasted potatoes and just had no fuss, frozen mixed veggies. Dinner was on the table in no time.

Strawberry season has come to an end here, but while they were piled high in all the stores I took full advantage. We usually go picking our own, but Jim & I have both had full schedules, so I had to buy already picked. The crop this year was very good. Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and who doesn't like strawberry shortcake? I usually like to make my own cake, but I'm so pressed for time lately, I opted to buy some. I HAD to use gobs of Cool Whip because what's a shortcake without the whipped "cream"?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

great new look. white backgrounds make photos looks really nice.

i've never seen those mock meats before. next time i'm in the US i'm going on a shopping spree!

Jody from VegChic said...

I purchased veat once and wasn't a big fan, so never purchased again.

It looks really good in your photo, maybe I should give it a chance again.

Herb roasted potatoes, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That strawberry shortcake looks delectable!

Crystal said...

Yay for the new look!

In regards to Veat...considering I use Veet hair removal product, I have a hard time eating something of a similar name, but we'll see. I haven't seen these in the grocery yet.

-Crystal

Judy said...

Looks like you made an awesome dinner! I'm totally with you on the cool whip thing, I love that stuff! As much as I try to remind myself that it isn't even really food, I still love it.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what a lovely strawberry shortcake!! and the bbq chick'n looks scrumptious as well :0)

KleoPatra said...

Love the new look, Carrie! i tried Veat when i was up in Seattle, Wash., a few years ago. i can't find it down here, but maybe i just need to look better. i loved it!!

It's pretty annoying all the whey in products; it's really the main reason i'm not all the way vegan, whey is just so darn hard to avoid.

Your BBQ chicken is sooooooo finger-lickin'-good lookin'! Thanks for that recipe. Campbell's Soup... who'd've thunk?? Also dig the veggies and those roasted po's! Mmmmmmm... have you had rosemary potatoes? So great, too!

The strawberry shortcake is drool-worthy, Carrie. Yummy! The more whipped topping the better, i say, when it comes to strawbs and also strawbs 'n' shortcake.

Maybe Mattie & i need another Canadian visit... hee hee. We won't need to eat out, we'll just beg at your place!

Makes me want to shout: "F-f-fil, l-l-lmo, o-o-ore, Fillmore Junior High!"

KleoPatra said...

P.S. Thanks for the nice comment. Canadian SMARTIES... who knew? i'll trade you some Hershey's bars! :o) Thanks for the head's up on Hilary from San Diego. Nice to see more veg*ns in this area! YAY! Thanks for all the support, as always... xoxoxo

Unknown said...

I like the new look! So clean! Your shortcake is making my mouth water...

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Carrie, I love your fresh new look! and Wowza on your strawberry shortcake - I want some of that! :)

ps -- you don't need a clay cooker to make the vegan pork tenderloin. She says a regualar pan will work fine. I think you'd really like it.

Shananigans said...

Love the new look! Also, love really simple dinners like that. Can't go wrong with the roasted potato side.

urban vegan said...

I never heard of Veat, but it looks like a winner.

And I'm lovin' the shortcake--so perky and pretty.

Tanya Kristine said...

veat. werid...sounds like veal. i wonder if it's here in the states? i'd try it.

i got some fresh strawberries from the market and i'm gonna dehydrate them. doens't that sound yum?

where;s simon?

bazu said...

I've never tried veet, but your photo looks so mouth-watering. And strawberry shortcake, wow! Would you believe I've never had it before? What am I waiting for??