Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Snowy Days & Comfort Food

Finally, we got some snow that stayed. Simon and I went for a walk/run/play yesterday.







Doesn't he look soooo handsome in his coat?














Simon just loves to play in the snow.




We stayed out for quite a while, then he'd had enough and was ready to come in. I guess he was hungry because he went straight for his bowl. While Simon chowed down on Solid Gold I was trying to think of something warming & satisfying to make for dinner.



It was sunny out, but still chilly - I was in the mood for a comfort meal.

Enter the Shepherd's Pie.




I used one package of Yves Veggie Ground Round and stretched it by adding some handfuls of TVP. I also added onions, garlic, some all-vegetable "beef style" bouillon cubes - dissolved in hot water - which helped to re-hydrate the TVP, some choice spices and then I dumped in a pile of frozen mixed veggies, added a few shakes of veggie Worcestershire sauce and let simmer for a bit. Sometimes if it seems too watery, I'll sprinkle some flour in to help thicken it up, but today it seemed just fine. I made a big dish of this so I would have leftovers for my lunch.




For dessert I made gingerbread. I haven't had this in years. This cake reminds me of home.


I used my mom's recipe, but substituted soft tofu for the eggs. It was so moist and delicious! To add to the yum factor, I spooned some Cool Whip on top. I'm not a fan of whipped cream but I love this Cool Whip stuff. It's all sugar, oil & chemicals, but it tastes so cool & creamy. Everything in moderation right? So once and a while it won't hurt. It goes great with gingerbread.

7 comments:

Michelle Ann said...

Your dog is so precious. What a little gentleman. :)

High Power Rocketry said...

What a cute dog.

Tanya Kristine said...

he does look incredibly handsome in his gentlemens jacket...

but that shepherds pie!!! holy sheeeeit! yummy!~

bazu said...

Aww, what a cute puppy! (actually spoken in my baby voice, "wawww, wa a wute wuppie!)
I've never had gingerbread, but yours looks so good.

Nikk said...

I love Simon's coat. He looks great out in the snow! :)

Sammy loves snow play too, but there just hasn't been any for him to romp in! There was a dusting a few days ago and he was so excited it was unbelievable!

That shepherd's pie looks very yummy!

Anonymous said...

i love the idea of gingerbread cake!

funwithyourfood said...

All i can focus on is that shepard's pie. i want to make a homemade version of my own!

Teddy