Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Let's Have Indian!

I'm very new to cooking and eating Indian food. What I have tried I really like. To help with ease of preparation, especially on weeknights, I love the convenience of Patak's sauces and curry pastes. One of my favorites is a mild sauce called Balti. I've made it a few times using Quorn but I'm all out and haven't made it across the border for shopping in a while, so I used cubed tofu & it turned out great!

I also adapted a recipe from
Cooking With Peta for curried chickpeas that was delicious! We had that over basmati rice along with some samosas that I had in the freezer. Man, was I stuffed! Here's the recipe for the chickpeas.


2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
2-3 tbsp. margarine
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
dash of cayenne pepper, to taste
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 green pepper, chopped into smallish pieces
salt to taste
1/2-1 cup water

Saute the onions in the margarine until golden brown. Add the garlic and spices and stir-fry for a minute or two. Add the tomato sauce and stir-fry for a further few minutes. Add chickpeas and green pepper and fry over fairly high heat until everything is browned, about 5-10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Turn the heat down and add 1/2 cup water and cover. Stir frequently and simmer for 20-30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.

Serves 2-3 (and tastes even better the next day.)

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Sounds great! I have checked out some of the Quorn products but all of them I am seen have egg whites in them...which products are vegan? Let me know.

Carrie™ said...

All of the Quorn products I know of contain egg whites and are therefore not vegan.